[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-cmm.694.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 00:23:50 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 5:39 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 16 January 2015 at 21:44,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> > Chris Muller uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
> > http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-cmm.694.mcz

> > Name: System-cmm.694
> > Author: cmm
> > Time: 16 January 2015, 3:44:19.079 pm
> > UUID: e79a2347-2f40-4fec-8f00-f67ecad68491
> > Ancestors: System-dtl.693
> >
> > - #flush stdout and stderr after writing error information to them.
> > - After that, if the exception is resumable (i.e. a Warning), resume
> it.  Except if its a MessageNotUnderstood -- that is not an error you want
> to resume in a headless environment.
>
> Why? It's probably a rare use case for a #run: script to catch MNUs to
> do something fancy, I guess? Maybe it's because #run: is usually
> (always?) the top level of the program?

Exactly.  #run: is for initiating long-running batch processes, typically
in headless mode.

> Catching only MNUs seems very specific. Maybe there could be a #run:
> version that says "and here's a function you can use to control which
> exceptions are OK to resume, and which not"?

It could, but the goal is for #run: to make it easy to run batch operations
and do-the-right-thing while demanding the bare minimum of configuration
from the user.

I smell the same thing you do.  I really don't like the smell of
MessageNotUnderstood check, but let me explain my rationale in response to
Eliots note and we can go from there.