[squeak-dev] BabyIDE now works in Squeak 4.5

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jan 18 16:24:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 03:54:07PM +0100, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> DCI is a programming paradigm with strong separation of concerns
> *    Classes are used for coding system state - what the system *is*.
> *    DCI Contexts are used for coding system behavior - what the system
> *does*.
> The DCI separation of concerns enhances code readability, supports
> testing, and simplifies system extension.
> BabyIDE is an IDE that supports the DCI separation of concerns by
> viewing the code in practically independent projections.
>
> BabyIDE with a number of examples is now ready for downloading into a
> Squeak 4.5 image:
> 1.     WorldMenu > open... > SqueakMap Categories.
> 2.     Select "Development tools" > BBAllInOne > (1.4)
> 3.     Click "Install"
> Example programs can be run from
>         WorldMenu > open... > BB5bBank etc.
> The sources for an example can be edited in BabyIDE, e.g.:
>         WorldMenu > open... > BB1: IDE>BB5bBank
>
> BabyIDE with its DCI infrastructure is a non-intrusive addition to
> Squeak; everything works as before and programming can be done in the
> usual manner (if desired).
>
> DCI home page: http://fulloo.info/.
> Description of the examples: http://fulloo.info/Examples/SqueakExamples
>
> Enjoy
> --Trygve

I just installed BabyIdeAllInOne in my working trunk image. I have only
just started to look at it, but I have to say right away that the browser
is really interesting. It has a context view that provides an conventional
browser view, and you can switch to an interaction view that shows a graphical
interaction diagram. The objects in the diagram are live, and selecting one
displays its methods and their implementation.

Dave