[squeak-dev] re: compiled squeakjs

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Jan 19 14:21:37 UTC 2015

> As I understand it, running under NaCl requires reworking the JIT and
> has real problems doing the self-modifying code involved in inline
> caches, etc.

     Yep, you rebuild your app to use the NaCl instruction set, and it
translates to physical instructions on demand. The "safety" constraints
it places on the code you generate are substantial. If you were even
allowed to run the code you want, the performance goal would be demolished.

     But worse, you've also demolished the "run anywhere" goal from the
outset, by limiting yourself to browsers that support NaCl. And I don't
see how to meet this goal with any browser-plugin approach. There just
isn't a widely-supported mechanism anymore, after the death of the
Netscape-style plugin.

-C

--
Craig Latta