[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-mt.697.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 28 00:00:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 01:51:52PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 27.01.2015, at 22:21, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> >
> > > AndreasSystemProfiler
> >
> > This is not in trunk, right?
> > If so, why?
> >

> It came from Qwaq/Terf so it ended up in
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/AndreasSystemProfiler.  Further, as Levente says
> it depends on support that is in Cog VMs (JIT, Stack & Interpreter) but not
> (yet) in the trunk Interpreter.  So I guess it doesn't belong in trunk
> until the Cog Interpreter has been merged with the trunk Interpreter.
> That's a fair amount of work, and neither David nor I have the time for it
> right now.

I did spend some time last year trying to get the primitives working in
trunk Interpreter, but I was a bit out of my depth and did not get it right.

Reminder and background info is on Mantis at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7746

As far as putting the profiler into trunk, I should think that there would
be some way to have more than one profiler, and fall back to the old one
if the VM does not provide the needed support for AndreasSystemProfiler.

This seems like a worthwhile thing to do. Anyone care to take it on?

Dave