[squeak-dev] Process-specific state difficult to debug...

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:22:59 UTC 2015

On 29 January 2015 at 09:06, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 29.01.2015, at 09:50, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> There are process-specific variables. However, #doStep in Debugger does
>> #completeStep: on the process object and Processor >> #activeProcess will be
>> wrong during that execution.
>>
>> Is this a general problem of global state or could we fix that somehow?
>
> The same problem exists for DynamicVariables that are not implemented with
> process-specific variables but with Notifications. Just want to throw that
> in :)

Yes: debugging with dynamic variables is Hard(tm), regardless of
whether nice (delimited, through Notifications) or nasty (undelimited,
through ProcessSpecificVariable), because you typically want the value
of the variable in the context in which the code under debug is
running, but asking it "what is your value?" returns the value of the
variable in the context of the debugger.

Which I guess is the answer: the debugger needs to recognise you're
working with a dynamic variable, and it must perform that
current-value-lookup in the correct context (that of the process
you're debugging).

frank