[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.6 -- 2nd release candidate

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 01:32:07 UTC 2015

Hi Dave,

>> Squeak4.6-15093 is now available at http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/.  It
>> addresses the issues we found with RC1.
>>
>> The sources file was rebuilt again, which means the prior
>> SqueakV46.sources file should not be trusted.  For that reason, I
>> actually decided to remove the RC1 files.
>>
>> Eliot said he wants to build the Cog VM one more time.  Then I'll try
>> to assemble the All-In-One.
>
> Thanks Chris!
>
> The RC2 image has the same "crash the interpreter" issue as RC1. Based
> on your earlier note, I tried this today:
>
> - Start with Squeak4.5-13680.image from ftp.squeak.org
>
> - Using Cog, updated the image to latest current trunk, producing "Squeak4.5 of 6 July 2015 update 15093"
>
> - Save image and restart under interpreter VM.
>
> - Open SqueakMap, update it, and load TwosComplement
>     ==> no problem

Ok, so the problem must be something in the #prepareRelease process.

> - Quit image, no save.
>
> - Restart image on interpreter VM
>
> - Evaluate ReleaseBuilder prepareNewRelease (enter password)

#prepareNewRelease is not meant to be run from a release image
(although that is not a bad idea to support).

Dave, for debugging this, you don't need to be doing the part of
prepareNewRelease which copies the mcz's because most likely that has
nothing to do with the VM crash.  You just need to look into all the
things prepareNewRelease does to make a educated guess about which is
causing the problem.

>   Notes:
>   Warning: Tools-topa.520 not found in trunk.
>   Warning: Kernel-topa.845 not found in trunk.
>   Warning: Display extent not set to 800 at 600
>   Error: Missing snapshot: Sound-nice.38
>     ==> fail, errors related to sound package

These are probably 4.5-specific packages, backported fixes.  Again,
#prepareNewRelease is not meant to be run in a release image..

> - Try again under Cog, same errors. Maybe needs to run on Mac?
>
> So at this point I can confirm that a trunk image fully updated
> from Squeak 4.5 works fine, with the update done on a Cog VM. However
> I am not able to run the prepareNewRelease to see its effect.
>
> The errors I am getting in #prepareNewRelease seem to be related to
> the sound package, so maybe it is some problem with my local system.
>
> Any advice? I am assuming that you are doing the build on your own
> system, so maybe you could give me a copy of the image that you produce
> immediately prior to running #prepareNewRelease? That should be equivalent
> to the image that I just updated

Yep.

(which works without problems), so
> that might give us an indication of whether the problem is introduced
> in #prepareNewRelease or somewhere else.

Please look into what prepareNewRelease does, it calls
prepareNewBuild, which is nothing magical or stripping or unloading or
anything.  Its just a bunch of minor cleanups followed by
condenseSources.  I would start with everything up to the
condenseSources first, see if that doesn't blow up..

Certainly, we want and need to still run on the classic interpreter
VM.  Please let me know soonish if you find the problem so we can
correct it for the release.