[squeak-dev] cogspurlinuxht under daemontools

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:38:50 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> >     I really know very little about this.  I don't understand the
> mechanism.  But I'm told that the limits file takes effect on login.  i.e.
> if the file is created while a user is logged in it won't take effect for
> that user until that user logs out and logs back in again and only applies
> to those sessions that logged in once the file had been created.  I /dont/
> know whether su sets up a new session.  i should try that experiment.
> >
> > So perhaps you could have daemon tools run login or su to create a new
> session and see if the ht version can be run by daemontools in that
> session.  Presumably daemons launched at boot aren't in the right state.
> (What an absurdity they've invented here).
>
> Good suggestion to try, unfortunately it didn't work.  I tried logging
> in as root to see if it would "initialize" that account to have those
> permissions, then logging out and starting the daemon.  Same error.

See
http://superuser.com/questions/454465/make-ulimits-work-with-start-stop-daemon.
Apparently

"At this time, you can't. limits.conf(5) is the configuration for
pam_limits(8), which is activated by the PAM stack according to the
configuration in /etc/pam.d. However, start-stop-daemon(8) as launched from
an init.d script doesn't pass through the PAM stack, so those kinds of
settings are never applied.

Debian bug #302079 <https://bugs.debian.org/302079> contains a patch to
enable setting limits from start-stop-daemon(8), but the bug has been open
since 2005 and the patch hasn't been merged yet.
While not ideal, AFAIK the recommended way to accomplish this right now is
to add a ulimitcall in your init.d script."

Looks like this is settable via ulimit -r; From man ulimit(1) (actually
from bash (1))
              -r     The maximum real-time scheduling priority

Of course this may not work:

ulimit -r 3
$
-bash: ulimit: real-time priority: cannot modify limit: Operation not
permitted

But it's worth a try.

For the sake of progress, I've switched to using the ITHB vm.

--
best,
Eliot