[squeak-dev] final final Squeak-4.6-All-in-One posted

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jul 22 01:36:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 08:02:16PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> The look and preferences of 4.6 were set up by Marcel and (I think)
> others at HPI.  Marcel made tremendous contributions to the IDE of 4.6
> and so it makes sense to let him finish his vision of what the release
> IDE should look and feel like.  As a whole, Squeak is a successful
> example of design by committee, but an IDE's look and feel, like a
> piece of art, can benefit from being designed by a few or single mind
> due to the more cohesive vision of all the components.

Excellent summary, and FWIW I agree. Marcel also provided justification
for this based on the reactions of many new users to the Squeak image.
Even though I do not personally like the grey look, I recognize that the
initial reaction of new users on first exposure to the release image is
more important than my personal preference.

> I certainly won't be running with gray windows -- it provides way too
> little delineation of background windows, leaving me with only the
> window position and its symbology (letters) for identification.

Me too. I think we should have a wiki page for "top 10 horrible
preferences and how to make them go away".

;-)

Dave