[squeak-dev] Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 03:03:14 UTC 2015

>> I managed to successfully incorporate the ARM platform into the 5.0
>> All-In-One -- so Squeak 5 will now start up with one-click on FOUR
>> platforms, OOTB..!!
>
> Excellent - one tiny change needs to be made to let it work on a Pi2 though; the shell script test for ARMv6l, which is correct for PiA+, B * B+ but the Pi2 is ARMv7. With that changed it fired up on my pi2 ok.

Is it case-sensitive?  Mine reported armv6l, not ARMv6l.  If it is,
I'll bet on consistency, if it isn't, lowercase won't matter.  I added
a check for armv7l.

>> - Look at the image size, its DOUBLE the size of the 4.6 image.  Why?
>
> Space analysis on my Pi2 shows a lot of MC* objects, which as we’ve seen before seem to hold onto a lot of the 4Mb of String and quite a few arrays, symbols etc listed.

I can't believe MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches is not part of
#prepareNewRelease (which makes me wonder whether 4.6 may have a bunch
of cached versions.. please no!).  I'm adding it.

> Oh, and I noticed in the Contents/Resources directory that there seems to be a spare _test.[image|changes] pair. Presumably not actually wanted?

Oops..