[squeak-dev] Squeak 5 will run on Rasberry Pi OOTB

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jul 24 20:23:01 UTC 2015

On 24-07-2015, at 12:50 PM, Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:
> In that inspector click on "all inst vars". Maybe I have too many too big arrays  but it hasn't returned from 96% CPU since a quarter of an hour.

One of the things that can really damage performance on the Pi is letting memory grow so big it starts virtual memory thrashing. Generating the entire list of entries for an inspector can really blow things up very effectively.

On a 4.5 based system you might try adding ‘-memory 128M’ as a vm option. For the 5.0 spur system the best equivalent is ‘-maxoldspace 128M’. I found this helped keep memroy from growing too much and that helps gcs and assorted scanning code work better.

tim
Oxymorons: Found missing