[squeak-dev] Mac Squeak binary virtual machine for Squeak 3.10.2

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jun 11 16:30:34 UTC 2015

On 11.06.2015, at 17:53, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 11-06-2015, at 8:33 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
>> IIRC Eliot stated that a single VM couldn't be efficient. But we have scripts which can choose the right VM. What we need is a "VM pack" which contains multiple VMs for the platform.

Which is why I wrote “from a user’s point of view”. If we can’t have a single VM we need to ship multiple.

> … and just the other day Dave posted his shell script that does the image testing and chooses the appropriate vm.

Yep. unix is simple, although we still need to deploy it (and ideally have a single source tarball that builds all the VMs). But we also need to find a solution for Win and Mac.

> The practical issue is the effort involved in maintaining old code in the face of changing OS releases etc. There’s only so many people with so much (or usually, so little) time.

I know :(

- Bert -