[squeak-dev] Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Mon Jun 15 13:43:30 UTC 2015

Hey Tim,

I will try to keep you informed.  The board you pointed me to seems like
overkill and at any rate is way more expensive than I can use as I would
like to build something and eventually sell it.

Someone from element14, the company here in the US where we can buy
Raspberries, said "No chip is needed, but you need to program the GPIO to
listen to a ring and then FSK the remaining information from a bleep.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question409.htm".  This seems like a
tremendous amount of work to get the GPIO to do and a lot of reinventing
the wheel.  I don't know for sure but I think there should be a chip that
can get the caller id info and pass it to the Raspberry (USB or other port)
and maybe even be able to handle the A/D-D/A conversion for recording and
playing of messages.

I'm trying to find a chip(s) that can do this and then maybe some help
wiring it to the Raspberry.

Thanks for your interest and any other thoughts you may have.

Lou

P.S.  I need permission to enter the site you pointed me to below.