[squeak-dev] [Tools] (Object >> #inspect) now returns the tool instead of the object

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Tue May 19 08:50:07 UTC 2015

Hi, there! :)

I just want to mention and explain, why (Object >> #inspect) now returns the
tool window instead of the object as in 4.5.

The Tools package adds several convenient methods to the base system:

Object >> #explore
Object >> #inspect
Object >> #browse
Behavior >> #browse

All but #inspect returned the created tool. So I went for consistency. But
in particular, those methods should return the tool because because
otherwise the programmer has no simple means to access the created
window/tool programmatically. Model and object are, however, always
accessible (via #model or just #self).

So if you got code like this:

self someObjects add: myObject inspect.

Please change it to:

self someObjects add: myObject inspect; yourself.

Or even better to:

myObject inspect.
self someObjects add: myObject.

I think that it is good practice/style to use #yourself if you want to get
the receiver back in a chain of calls:

self myMorphs add: (MyMorph new color: Color yellow; yourself).

Best,
Marcel