[squeak-dev] Storing objects in Monticello (was: The Trunk: Morphic-kfr.1022.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 1 15:28:19 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 09:00:42AM -0700, marcel.taeumel wrote:
> Nice. :)
>
> We might want to think about Monticello and Code from time to time. At the
> moment, there is no feasible way to version real objects (morphs etc.) with
> it. [Which is not a limitation of MCZ files storing binary versions of
> MCMethodAddtions already in the snapshot.bin]

Edgar De Cleene has provided a working implementation that is worth review.
The changes would need to be merged into trunk, but that should not be hard
to do.

The MCZ with Edgar's changes is Monticello-edc.534.mcz in the repository
http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos.

Edgar also provided a video that shows how use this to load an MCZ with
resources for a morphic puzzle, similar to the way this might otherwise
be done with a SAR archive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZucdZZCdYY&feature=youtu.be

The original discussion of this was in the 'Updating SAR builder tool'
thread on squeak-dev last August.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2015-August/185739.html

I tried this myself in a 5.0 image and it worked well. Unfortunately I
didn't find the time to follow up by extracting the changes and putting
them into the inbox, which I guess would be the best way to proceed if
we have an interest in this approach.

Dave