[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-nice.777.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 12 04:07:11 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:07:30PM +0000, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
> Nicolas Cellier uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-nice.777.mcz

> Name: System-nice.777
> Author: nice
> Time: 11 November 2015, 4:07:14.754 pm
> UUID: 86751135-3a70-41f9-aad1-e9de96bf1c70
> Ancestors: System-nice.776
>
> Let ImageSegment tests pass on Spur by fixing the erroneous endianness check.
>
> Details:
>
> In spur, primitive 98 which load an ImageSegment does become: the WordArrayForSegment segment into an Array. So all information about endianness is lost at this stage.
>
> I don't know if the primitive will handle all kind of endianness, but it will eventually fail if it can't, and we won't get down to here, so the very best thing is to assume that endianness problems are already solved.

Is this issue related to the Spur object format, or is it due to the
implementation of primitive 98 in the VM? I am experimenting with tracking
trunk changes in a 4.6 image, and I'm trying to understand if this change
would be appropriate for a "trunk" image in the old V3 image format. I
think the answer is no, but I'm not sure so better to ask.

Thanks,
Dave