[squeak-dev] Missing MC notification

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Nov 14 19:39:38 UTC 2015

> On 14-11-2015, at 9:33 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> DockingBarMorph - don't allow editing of menu items unless a preference is set. It isn't something you want in a production application.
>
> Why?  Users often like to label things to their purpose or liking.  It
> seems harmless enough….?

Really? Having kids able to mangle the UI and mess up a lesson doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. Not to mention that the editing isn’t done terribly attractively - the fonts don’t match, the colours used are grody etc. For developers, okay, whatever. End-users? Not so much.

>> The squeak menu ought to be a DockingBarMenuMorph, not a plain menu morph.
>
> Hmm, a docking bar docks against the edge of the screen, a plain menu doesn't..

Err, wrong class. The menus for a docking bar need to be a little different. The squeakMenu was left behind and just needed bringing into the fold.

>> MenuMorph>popUpAdjacentTo:forHand:from: misuses 'owner owner' instead of 'world'
>> Add option for dragged Morphs to tell the Hand that they handlewhat happens when being dragged; useful for dragging Morphs that take a long time to draw the shadow, or perhaps want to render quite differently etc.
>>
>> The ugly bit I don’t like is DockingBarItemMorph>>#wantsKeyboardFocusOnShiftClick and how it seems I need to handle the preference. To add  pref more directly would require modification of a System package, which seems overkill. Ideas?
>
> Maybe instead of a new preference how about simply removing
> StringMorph>>#handlesMouseDown: and let external apps register /
> unregister their own eventHandler (see Morph>>#handlesMouseDown:)?

No idea. If it would work better and allow me to lock it out of the range of Scratch using kids I don’t care how it’s done.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PFM: Pray For Miracle