[squeak-dev] Balloon3D - dead or alive?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Nov 16 22:10:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 01:36:24PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Over the weekend I had a go at building the B3DAccelerator plugin for the Pi (with all sorts of fun in the process) and eventually got something that compiled, linked and appeared to have built.
>
> To test it I tried to load the Balloon3D package but the one accessible in SqueakMap is *ancient* and although I did manage to get it installed with lots of hackery, and the basic rotating cube *did* finally run with no hardware acceleration, an attempt to swap to using hardware failed.
> So far as I can work out we???re not routinely building the ???Squeak3D??? plugin anymore? Is anyone still caring for the B3D stuff? The latest SM version is over 10 years old :-O
>
> Is there somewhere other than SM I might find an up to date version - or indeed anything else that would test the B3DAcceleratorPlugin?

It has always been part of the "standard" unix releases up through the
last one the Ian published on squeakvm.org. I don't recall ever having
fixed any 64-bit issues for this, which means that it probably does not
work on 64-bit host. However, I expect that it should still be healthy
on 32-bit platforms.

I'm not sure the best way to test it on a recent image, but if you
have an older image with B3D stuff, try running it on the latest
32-bit interpreter from squeakvm.org/unix. If that does what you need,
then the plugin is in good shape and probably will just need some
updates for 64-bit host. I'd be happy to try doing those updates if
there is an interest.

Dave