[squeak-dev] Balloon3D - dead or alive?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Nov 17 20:56:11 UTC 2015

> On 17-11-2015, at 8:08 AM, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:
>
>> Ah, sad. If anyone is interested, it can actually be loaded with some hassle and that rotating cube does work, so maybe it could be rescued? Is is worth it?
>
> I would vote for a rescue…

Well, is it the best answer? What else has been done to use 3D with an option for hardware acceleration? Croquet/Cobalt is still out there but doesn’t seem to get a lot of action so far as I can see.

There’s also the Rome/Cairo/Pango stuff for 2D - though according to the squeaksource.com/Rome repository there isn’t anything newer than ~jan 2007. And then there’s Nile/Gezira; can we actually use that?

We seem to be sitting on a pile of treasure and not doing anything with it. I’d love to find out I’m wrong and that there is a nice easy to load package that will amaze me.

tim
Useful random insult:- Not much to show for four billion years of evolution.