[squeak-dev] Re: Fixing tab behaviour and browser hierarchy appearance

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 00:38:08 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Not sure, it seems just as likely to want to select entire multi-line
> >> expressions and wnat to replace them iwth new expressions, starting
> >> with a Tabular indentation...
> >

> > You can always use Delete or Backspace to delete the selection.
>
> So could Eliot when he wanted to replace interior text with a Tab.
>
> Instead, the Indentation command has been made _very_ obscure, because
> Eliots condition seems exactly reverse of what it should be.   When I
> use indentation, I do a sloppy-swipe (middle to middle) of the lines I
> want to indent and press Tab.  That's a fair response because no one
> ever puts Tab characters in the middle of a word of a line.  However,
> people DO want to type tabs _between_ words, or at the _beginning_ of
> lines.
>
> Eliot, I'm quite curious about your use-case, are you doing a
> text-based report with columns?

Formatting case statements.

> If we flipped around your condition
> would it still work for you?

No it wouldn't.  If I type a tab to replace the selection I mean to replace
the selection with a tab.  How else is one supposed to get a tab into the
middle of a line, select,copy,paste??

Look, my change makes typing a tab in the middle of a line do what one
would expect, insert a tab.  It /does not/ prevent anyone from defining
Ctrl-tab or Shift-tab to indent our outdent if they want that.  But _one
should be able to easily type a tab in the middle of a line with a text
editor_, period.

best, Eliot