[squeak-dev] Balloon3D - dead or alive?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Nov 19 01:55:45 UTC 2015

>>> I would vote for a rescue…
>>
>> Well, is it the best answer?
>
> Sorry, I thought you asked.

I did indeed. The question is really which - if any - of the possible frameworks should we try to rescue, adopt, improve, release, whatever? There’s only so much time that people can spend and for most of this sort of thing probably only  a few people that have a clue what to do (oh-oh, I’m flashing back to the 70s, does anyone know the way?)

The answer is most likely that the ‘winner’ is whatever someone can get enthused about enough to get working.

Good news - I managed to build the Squeak3D plugin for the Pi, it runs, it appears to execute decently! The very basic demo of the rotating cube rotates nicley, the ‘turn on hardware acceleration’ button causes it to run more smoothly, a FrameRateMorph shows that even on a mere Pi it is not overtaxing the system, and all the other simple demos work. The only one I spotted that slows us below 48fps was commented as taxing because it is plotting a complex 3D surface from an equation with complex colouring.

I did try the Wonderland stuff and although I was able to get a basic Wonderland Morph open (and very small since screens are *so* much bigger now) but crashed the VM when trying … something I can’t remember. Basically it was chomping memory and a Pi only has so much to give. There were complaints logged in ‘Squeak3D.log’ about "OpenGL initialization failed - No OpenGL visual found” which may I guess mean that in fact all or some of the plugin wasn’t really working - it’s some error in sqUnixOpenGL.X11 for the curious.

Ah, try again; I can use the command menus to make the camera nad ground turn around but getting the halo for the ground goes into some recursive navel-gazing and crashes.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SNARF: System Normalize And Reset Flags