[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Traits-pre.307.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 07:16:13 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> Should we keep Traits? It was a neat idea that I was happy to support but it got left unfinished. Where are tools to develop & manage Traits? Where is the usage?
>
> Unless there is a compelling reason - and subsequent effort to fill out support - I suggest we should remove them. Along with Islands. And Universes. And probably Environments too, since that has stalled without becoming a proper part of the system.

+1.  +1.  +1 and, +1.  Doing the most with the least is the most
beautiful and admirable aspect of Squeak.  Six reserved words,
assignment, and sending messages to objects.  That's pretty much it.
Those concepts alone form the building blocks of the entire IDE, and
still able to push the language with clever hacks like Mixins,
Generators, Promises, Futures, WriteBarriers, and Continuations.

Traits, Slots, Islands, Environments and Pragmas never convinced me
that they deserve to be part of a language this wonderfully sparse.