[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Nebraska-tpr.42.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Nov 24 03:00:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 11:30:44PM +0100, karl ramberg wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 11:17 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

> > > On 23-11-2015, at 1:16 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this so that Scratch users won't have to see the pre-debugger?
> >
> > Nah,  the Scratch code handles it in ScratchSoundRecroderDialog or
> > some-such. These couple of changes are simply suggestions for more politely
> > handling a possible problem in a way that is a touch less painful than a
> > primitiveFailed within a critical block. If people prefer the plain
> > notifier for an unhandled Warning, fine.
> >
> > ChatNotes etc are not used by Scratch - though enabling group chat could
> > be fun...
> >
> > >  If
> > > a Scratch kid gets a debugger and clicks "Debug" isntead of
> > > "Abanadon".  They might get confused or they might learn something..?
> >
> > I suspect a teacher of a class of 30-40 8 year olds trying to keep their
> > minds on the required lesson might not see it as at all amusing. Remember,
> > Scratch usage is now part of the national curriculum in the UK.
> >

> Oh, that's really big.
> Hope they enjoy it :-)

Indeed, it sounds like a pretty big deal, but not something that I would
have remembered since I did not know about it in the first place. Tim,
can you provide a link to "Scratch usage is now part of the national
curriculum in the UK"?

And when they say "Scratch" does it mean the real one, or the "improved"
version that was reimplemented in a soon-to-be-dead language by wannabe
IT managers?

Dave