Use of the Scratch program in the UK? (Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Nebraska-tpr.42.mcz)

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 17:21:17 UTC 2015

On 11/24/15, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/15, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

>>> Oh, that's really big.
>>> Hope they enjoy it :-)
>>>

>> Indeed, it sounds like a pretty big deal, but not something that I would
>> have remembered since I did not know about it in the first place. Tim,
>> can you provide a link to "Scratch usage is now part of the national
>> curriculum in the UK"?
>
> So far I found
>
> http://www.naace.co.uk/curriculum/primaryguide
>
> Page 14 shows a screen with scratch. This is  from an association of
> UK ICT teachers.
>
> There are web pages from the UK government but I did not find the reference
> yet.

And here an announcement for teachers to learn about Scratch in Jan 2016

https://www.sciencelearningcentres.org.uk/cpd/ondemand/fc0b576e-61a4-46b8-a4de-943f1fa02124/delivering-the-coding-elements-of-the-national-curriculum-at-ks2/

"Experience a number of different methods to develop both your skills
in Scratch and the teaching techniques that you can use to make it
work for you and your students."

"This course takes you through the principles of the computing
curriculum  coding programming, giving you ‘hand on’ opportunities to
experience a number of different methods  hands on time to develop
both your skills in Scratch and the teaching techniques that you can
use to make it work for you and your students. In 2 days, we will take
you from creating simple programs to the exciting coded world of
creating your own computer games."