[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Traits-pre.307.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 11:04:30 UTC 2015

On 24 November 2015 at 21:09, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/21/15, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>>> Should we keep Traits? It was a neat idea that I was happy to support but
>>> it got left unfinished. Where are tools to develop & manage Traits? Where
>>> is the usage?
>>>
>>> Unless there is a compelling reason - and subsequent effort to fill out
>>> support - I suggest we should remove them. Along with Islands. And
>>> Universes. And probably Environments too, since that has stalled without
>>> becoming a proper part of the system.
>>
>> +1.  +1.  +1 and, +1.  Doing the most with the least is the most
>> beautiful and admirable aspect of Squeak.  Six reserved words,
>> assignment, and sending messages to objects.  That's pretty much it.
>> Those concepts alone form the building blocks of the entire IDE, and
>> still able to push the language with clever hacks like Mixins,
>> Generators, Promises, Futures, WriteBarriers, and Continuations.
>>
>> Traits, Slots, Islands, Environments and Pragmas never convinced me
>> that they deserve to be part of a language this wonderfully sparse.
>
> +1 for removing Universes at the moment. There is no server for them
> and updating SqueakMap which is done at a modest pace replaces the
> need for them.

I was under the impression that Universes _was removed_, like, back in
4.4 or the beginning of the 4.5 cycle, when I was up to my eyeballs in
hairy dependencies... Certainly the build processes think so -
https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-ci/blob/master/package-load-scripts/Universes.st
is the _load script_ for Universes (implying its _unloaded by default_
state).

frank