[squeak-dev] Removing of Universe classes

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 14:18:32 UTC 2015

On 25 November 2015 at 13:59, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any code changing the image as loading a package from trunk should end in a
> numbered change set.
>
> This is how Cuis works and how Squeak should work.
>
> And please , get rid of Squeak-Version also.
> As we have automatic procedures, we should have a way of made reliable
> change sets and put this change sets in GitHub

We can't, without a fair amount of work. Your squeak "version" is the
sum of versions of all the base packages. When we remove packages from
the base system, we must bump Squeak-Version's version by the removed
package's version number, so that the aggregate version number doesn't
decrease.

It's a bit crazy (because if you and I both have packages Foo and Bar,
but my Foo is one version ahead of yours, and my Bar one version
behind, the aggregate version number is the same), but it's what's
there. And fixing it won't be easy - to do it reliably you'd have to
record the versions of the individual packages - you'd have a _version
vector_.

frank