[squeak-dev] Removing of Universe classes

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 09:55:04 UTC 2015

On 25 November 2015 at 16:51, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> On 25 November 2015 at 13:59, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Any code changing the image as loading a package from trunk should end in
>>> numbered change set.
>>>
>>> This is how Cuis works and how Squeak should work.
>>>
>>> And please , get rid of Squeak-Version also.
>>> As we have automatic procedures, we should have a way of made reliable
>>> change sets and put this change sets in GitHub
>>

>> We can't, without a fair amount of work. Your squeak "version" is the
>> sum of versions of all the base packages. When we remove packages from
>> the base system, we must bump Squeak-Version's version by the removed
>> package's version number, so that the aggregate version number doesn't
>> decrease.
>>
>> It's a bit crazy (because if you and I both have packages Foo and Bar,
>> but my Foo is one version ahead of yours, and my Bar one version
>> behind, the aggregate version number is the same), but it's what's
>> there. And fixing it won't be easy - to do it reliably you'd have to
>> record the versions of the individual packages - you'd have a _version
>> vector_.
>

> I don't think there's anything to fix here. The version number is only
> meaningful in a Trunk image, and it only has to be consistent after updates.
> So it does exactly what it has to do.

Yeah, maybe "fix" is a bit of hyperbole. "Fixing" the Squeak trunk
version is like saying "the version of my operating system is Windows
10 + VS 2013.4 + Git 2.6.2 + ...". No one actually does that.

The thing called "Cuis" is versioned across the packages in the base
system. That's pretty close to what we do, kinda. Maybe in fact "the
Squeak trunk version" should only be calculated by the sum of packages
in the MCM... but I suspect that's exactly what we _actually do_. So
THEN, when we remove packages from the base system (as in, it's not
part of the base system anymore), we have the number deficit that
Squeak-Version fixes.

Er. That might be a long-winded "carry on, nothing to see here."

frank