[squeak-dev] Thoughts on Xtreams

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon Oct 5 18:32:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I suppose this is really about buffer size and flushing frequency. I
> imagine Seaside could chunk its responses, but instead saves every response
> into one large buffer and then flushes once.
> With Altitude I can put 'self halt' in the middle of a page and watch half
> a a page render. The buffer size is set to 1K and flushes when the buffer
> is full, which doesn't take long.

Right. Seaside feels slower, even when the rendering time is the same.
However, Seaside handles application errors more gracefully than Altitude.
If there's an error halfway down the page, Seaside catches it and sends a
nice error page page to the browser, with a walkback and a debug link.
Altitude can't do that, since the headers and half the page have already
been sent. Different tradeoffs.