[squeak-dev] Menus and cmd keys considered quite, quite, mad

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:29:08 UTC 2015

Tim, Squeak is a complex system, with a lot of functions and a complex
interaction between human and machine.  No system like that is going
to be the toddler-coddler you want it to be.

>>> Part of it is likely  because of the confusion inherent to having two separate UI systems that aren’t quite separate. For example StringHolder class>>#yellowButtonMenuItems includes
>>>                      {'make project link (P)' translated.    #makeProjectLink}.
>>> which
>>> a) annoyed me because I want to use cmd-shift-p for my printItHex

So override it, you have a "live" system.  The code IS the
user-interface, just as much as the menus are...

>>> Ideally menus should be pre-built and cached, with some cache-flushing algorithm connected to anything that changes what should be in them. Such as adding a new menu related pragma.

That'll waste all the memory in your Pi...