[squeak-dev] Does anyone have the original Squeak 1.x Mac releases?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Oct 25 23:51:55 UTC 2015

> On 24.10.2015, at 19:15, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 23-10-2015, at 11:28 AM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>>
>> The image looks like the 1.1 on our FTP (http://ftp.squeak.org/1.1/) but it
>> will not open with the Windows VM from then. Was the image format somewhat
>> different between Windows/Mac back then?
>
> No, the image *format* was the same but the image was originally pretty solidly Mac specific until Andreas added support for Windows, Ian added it for *nix and I added it for RISC OS. It’s possible that image you have there simply predates any of that.

The image on the website is 1.1w meaning it has the WindowsFileDirectory class which is needed to make it work on the Windows VM (it supports Mac and Windows). IIRC it lacks the UnixFileDir though (those are labeled “...u”).

John’s image only has MacFileDirectory, so I think this is actually the oldest released image found so far, and we should put it on the website.

Would be fun if someone looked at the changes file time stamps to reconstruct the evolution of early Squeak images ...

- Bert -