[squeak-dev] Building a linux/Pi library to call via FFI

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 10 01:53:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 11:17:08AM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> I?m trying - and so far failing - to do what should surely be a very simple
> thing. This isn?t a new situation?  especially on unix.
>
> I have a single C file with just two functions. I have a matching H file.
> I want to make them into a dynamic library that I can call via FFI. This
> really shouldn?t be rocket science stuff!

<OT>
I assume there is some good reason that you would not do an end run
around all that rocket science and just write a plugin? After all, you
are the person who wrote the excellent early papers on how to extend the
VM with plugins, and most of what little I know of VMs came from reading
your early work on the topic.

I would hate to be the one to deny a masochist his private pleasures, but
really, why not not just do it the easy way?
</OT>

Dave