[squeak-dev] The Trunk: SMLoader-cmm.85.mcz -- SqueakMap Installable packages / installed packages display

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 22:35:12 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 4:24 PM, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/15/15, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> After review and some thought, it has become clear to me that Dave's
>> change is incorrect.  Please take a look at the SqueakMap filters and
>> consider them from the context of the use-cases -- what users need to
>> do with SqueakMap, and NOT from the context of a database that needs
>> to produce generalized "query results" <---- because it doesn't.
>>
>> "Published" are the ones which have software to install, while
>> "Auto-installable" shows only packages that are installable from the
>> "Install" menu selection within the image.  These two filters are
>> useful together in a restricting fashion, not an inflating one, so
>> that newbies can see what's ready to go.
>>
>> It was then that I also realized that Hannes' combination was not a
>> use-case either.  The use-cases we have are:  1) user wants to install
>> software or, 2) user wants to see what they have already installed.
>> Seeing a cumulative list of both installed and uninstalled satisfies
>> neither use-case.
>
> I disagree.
>
> From a user interface perspective the problem lies in the fact that it
> allows me to _select_
>
> 1) show installable software
> 2) show installed software
>
> at the _same_ time.

Sure, but those are *filters* you've selected.  Filters are things
that only remove, they don't add...

> Then
> I expect to see the set of installable software unified with the set
> of installed software.

Please read the balloon help on those filters you selected, they
decribe their behavior and are performing it correctly.

There is actually a plausible use-case for that combination of filters
you selected:  to show the user the software that is either not
installed or is installed but can be upgraded because there's a newer
version available.  That's actually sounds useful..

> What is implemented corresponds to check boxes. What is implemented is
> radio buttons behaviour.

No it isn't, because you can have multiple filters in place at once,
which we see satsify meaningful use-cases.

> But the radio buttons do not work as it is
> possible to have more than one buttion active at the same time.
> Cumulative selections should not be allowed. At the moment they are.

I had actually started an implementation to "group" the filters into
groups of radios that would cause others in the same group to be
unchecked.  That forced me to consider all the use-cases and that's
when I realized the purpose of the existing filters.

> The behaviour of the GUI is not what is expected. Some people actually
> do call this a bug.

Reading the balloon help provided by those filters actually helps to
understand why its not a bug.  Please check that out.  And, why do you
want to see Installed and Uninstalled all in one list and why not just
"Clear all fiters" to do that?

Best,
  Chris