[squeak-dev] The Trunk: SMLoader-cmm.85.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:39:52 UTC 2015

> Maybe it would be nice if the filters where off when opening the SqueakMap
> browser. With filters on it seems to be empty and not functioning.

No.  Just a gentle reminder, the best way to talk about SqueakMap and
figure out how to improve it is to orient ourselves with the
requirements:

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6183

Presenting everything in the list would violate requirement #4.
Publishers who simply follow these publishing guidelines [1] are able
to meet these requirements, and so what users see in the list is what
WORKS.  If we show "everything" then we're hiding what works, and SM
becomes useless again.

Why do you say its an empty list?  I just checked Squeak 5.0 and there
are at least 20 packages showing up in there..?

IF nothing were to show up in the list when "Safely-available" filter
(and nothing else) is checked, then that's on us as a community.  It
simply means that we didn't care enough to take the 5 minutes
necessary to recertify our packages for the latest Squeak.  It is what
it is, but let's not fake out the "truth".

Thankfully, we DON'T have a blank list in 5.0.  Thanks to those in the
community who have gotten on board with the publishing guidelines we
have packages on SM that actually WORK (if they were done right) and
have single one of those requirements met.  Users are able to consume
those packages with one click instead of being forced to come begging
to the list for "how to load it"..

We will get there!

[1] -- SqueakMap Publishing Guidelines
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6182

[2] -- How to designate existing SqueakMap packages for a new version of Squeak
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180