[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.685.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 6 17:36:41 UTC 2016

> On 06-04-2016, at 10:01 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I thought the reason for one global sound process was due to it
> needing to "sum up" all the voices of a given instant and pass that
> aggregate waveform to some primitive which would play it for that
> millisecond (or whatever).

As best I understand it the MIDI synthesiser is quite separate and outputs whatever it wants via the system sound handler. Our FM sound(etc) goes out via our own soundplayer process and the prims that add it to the system sound handler.

On the Pi (and therefore I hope generic linux) we recently got a parcel of fixes integrated that make MIDI stuff work decently via timidity; no idea if that means it would work with any other linux midi synth.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Furnulum pani nolo = I don't want a toaster.