[squeak-dev] TrunkUpdateStreamV3

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Apr 10 02:11:43 UTC 2016

For some time now, I have been maintaining an update.V3 update stream on
squeaksource.com in project TrunkUpdateStreamV3. I am manually updating
packages Compiler, Collections, Kernel and System in that project, so the
update maps point to these packages and refer to the main trunk repository
for everything else.

The result is an update stream for the old V3 image that tracks trunk
except for the differences related to Spur, which are localized to those
four packages. An image updated from this stream can be run on a Cog or
interpreter VM. A monticello browser in the V3 image can be used to show
the Spur related differences by comparingto the Compiler, Collections,
Kernel and System packages in the trunk repository on source.squeak.org.

I do not intend to maintain this update stream long term, but for a few
months or so it may be of some general interest. I therefore made a Jenkins
job on build.squeak.org that updates a Squeak 4.6 release image and saves
the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the resulting "trunk" image. The saved
images are at a version level comparable to trunk.

Running both the 64 bit and 32 bit images requires an interpreter VM built
from source because of some recently added primitives that are required
for a trunk image. The 32 bit V3 image will run on a Cog VM.

Links that may be of interest:

The update stream that follows trunk for a V3 image is at
http://www.squeaksource.com/TrunkUpdateStreamV3.

The Jenkins project is http://build.squeak.org/job/FollowTrunkOnOldV3Image.

The most recent updated images (32 and 64 bit) are saved at
http://build.squeak.org/job/FollowTrunkOnOldV3Image/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunkV3Images.zip

The scripts that build these images are run.sh, update46.st, traceTo64.st and
resave.st. These are located in http://build.squeak.org/job/FollowTrunkOnOldV3Image/ws/.

The five minute recipe for a Linux interpreter VM is at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354.

Dave