[squeak-dev] Re: Generators on Streams on Generators on Collections on ...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 13:30:07 UTC 2016

> On Apr 11, 2016, at 11:38 PM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Tobias,
>
> this version is made for endless streams, not the ones the always operate on
> a collection but sockets etc. So, the generator never ends and hence #atEnd
> is never true. I thought that #upToNil might be sufficient and also
> practical for other streams.

I disagree.  In general it is wrong to assume nil is the end-of-stream value.  In VW it is only a default, and one can set the end-of-stream value to something else, a facility we could use also.  In some circumstances nil can be a valid element in the stream (#(nil true false) readStream). upToEnd is the right message to provide.