[squeak-dev] Re: Why do we process the shutdown list if not snapshotting?

Florin Mateoc florin.mateoc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:36:26 UTC 2016

Hi Eliot,

On 4/18/2016 9:03 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi Denis,
>

> On Apr 18, 2016, at 1:07 AM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisiydk at gmail.com <mailto:dionisiydk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi

>>     Hi there,
>>
>>     there are three different scenarios for shutdown:
>>
>>     1. Save and resume
>>     2. Save and quit
>>     3. Quit only
>>
>>     For general clean-up routines, 1 and 2 should clean-up, while 3 does not
>>     have to. So, one variable might be sufficient. :-)
>>
>>     Any other ways of using shutdown?
>>

>> But good practice is to close DB connections when app is closing for example
>
> Agreed. Bug do you agree that #save is not a time to close, whereas #saveAndQuit and #quit are?

I think this is a place where the decision might best rest with the image user. We could present them (at save time)
with a list of open OS resources and ask them what to do with each.
I did work on an application in VW that did not close db connections and it attempted (usually successfully) to
transparently re-open them at startup. Also VA has code to recreate the OS widgets on startup.
But this can only happen if specific code/effort is put into it for each kind of resource. And presumably each image,
even if it did handle some situations, would not handle all possible ones, so the user, assuming they know what their
image capabilities are, would be in the best position to decide.

Florin