[squeak-dev] Re: Why do we process the shutdown list if not snapshotting?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 20:21:40 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>>> But good practice is to close DB connections when app is closing for
>>> example
>>>

>>> Agreed. Bug do you agree that #save is not a time to close, whereas
>>> #saveAndQuit and #quit are?
>>

>> Wait, I don't, for the exact reason Denis mentions above.  When I save
>> the image, regardless whether its gonna be shut down, Magma will close
>> down, so that the state of the saved image is not with open files,
>> sockets, etc.
>>
>> On a save-and-resume, it then goes ahead and Re-Opens everythiing.
>> Sure, this forces it to go through its shutdown/startup routine on a
>> save but... so what?  Couldn't your external memory pointers re-init
>> themselves similarly?  What is the goal here, to improve performance
>> of saving the image?
>

> I guess it's to avoid the unnecessary downtime.

You mean for a server in production using image persistence?  If so,
is the image saved with those open resources still usable and, if so,
is the expensive shutdown code needed at all then?

Is what we need to just shift our focus to making things right on the
startup side instead of the shutdown side?  I seem to remember, the
folks at... Dolphin or Smalltalk-MT made a good argument for this
philosophy..