[squeak-dev] Squeak IDE videos

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 20 03:08:35 UTC 2016

Thanks for these videos Chris.

> On 19-04-2016, at 5:01 PM, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> The pinch-zoom-and-resize feature:

I can’t make this work anything like what your video shows. A blue-button press and drag will move a window, though it stays at the same level in the stack (which I quite like as a concept since it is like RISC OS), but I can’t find any action or modifier to make the resize happen. What is it?

>   https://youtu.be/_aMmeNZ39Io
>
> The Tracing Messages Browser:
>
>   https://youtu.be/y96IvSwfXxg

That one was very informative; I had no idea about the removing items etc. How can we make it more easily discoverable.

> The list-filtering feature:
>
>   https://youtu.be/11CLNKl5334

Similarly I had no idea about using backspace to escape from filtering. You have no idea how often I've cursed ..

> The Smart-Splitters feature:
>
>   https://youtu.be/JPQrDMIpjis

I’m sorry but there’s no way I can cope with those. They are an Abomination Unto Nuggan…

> Focus Follows Mouse feature (old):
>
>   https://youtu.be/q0WqBjtIbK0

I can see value in some of these options; again, you could almost get it to work like RISC OS.

What concerns me (with a lot of stuff in Squeak actually, not just this specific ui stuff) is how hard we are making it to find out options and follow what is going on. You mentioned in your first video that the blue-button window-drag stuff doesn’t work if the buttons are swapped. I can’t see any way of finding out why!  It’s abstracted and factored so much we just get lost almost immediately!

tim
Useful random insult:- An early example of the Peter Principle.