[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: System-mt.861.mcz

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Aug 3 13:06:42 UTC 2016

commits-2 wrote
> Marcel Taeumel uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-mt.861.mcz

> Name: System-mt.861
> Author: mt
> Time: 3 August 2016, 3:48:48.221245 pm
> UUID: 74e725aa-ea12-df48-b3cf-730dba8dccc6
> Ancestors: System-cmm.860
>
> Provide progress indication when applying a new UI theme. Use 1000-ms
> updates to not slow-down the process unnecessarily.
>
> =============== Diff against System-cmm.860 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: UserInterfaceTheme>>apply (in category 'actions') -----
>   apply
>   	"Apply this theme to all affected objects. Let classes decide on how to
> iterate and call their instances."
>
>   	UserInterfaceTheme current: self.
>
>   	self class clientClassesToReapply in: [:cc |
>   		cc do: [:eachClass | eachClass applyUserInterfaceTheme].
> + 		(cc select: [:eachClass | eachClass canApplyThemeToInstances])
> + 			do: [:eachClass | eachClass applyThemeToInstances]
> + 			displayingProgress: [:eachClass | 'Applying {1} to instances of {2}'
> format: {self name. eachClass name}]
> + 			every: 1000 ].
> - 		cc
> - 			select: [:eachClass | eachClass canApplyThemeToInstances]
> - 			thenDo: [:eachClass | eachClass applyThemeToInstances]].
>
>   	Project current restoreDisplay.!

Hey, there.

We might want to discuss this. I heard that, when applying a theme, some
users had to wait quite some time before they could continue to work in the
image, especially when there are thousands of instances.

Do you think that this kind of progress indication is sufficient and/or
valuable?

Best,
Marcel