[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.1 Feature Freeze -- Trunk closed for new features; only bug fixes or text updates

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Sun Aug 14 12:16:31 UTC 2016

--

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 12:52 PM Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Fabio,
>
> On Aug 14, 2016, at 2:57 AM, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
>
> Heartbeat threaded vms seem to be better, but they require a kernel later
> than 2.6.12 and Linux needs to be reconfigured by creating a file.
>
> I wonder, would it be better to use vms with interval timer in the Linux
> bundles instead?
> Or shall we extend the squeak.sh launcher script, so that it helps with
> the Linux setup?
>
> It feels like ht vms are for power users and I think it might be better to
> trade performance for ease of use in this case (having beginners in mind).
> Any other opinions?
>

> The way I think of it is that the interval timer is a mechanism with bad
> side effects (interrupting system calls potentially affecting foreign
> code).  So I think of it as a poor man's solution.  Since Linux is often
> personal, in that the user usually owns the system, it seems worth guiding
> the user through being able to use the GT VM if possible.  If we go this
> route I recommend we pull the logic for setting up the files into a
> separate script so that it can be modified independently of squeak.sh to
> leave squeak.sh relatively stable as we evolve the setup script.
>
> I agree that the itimer VMs are simpler, but in this case not better :-/

Thanks for the clarification. :)
For the Squeak release (see [1]), I think it would make sense to check for
the Linux kernel and fail with a useful error message when it's too old.
Then, check if a squeak.conf exists and if it doesn't, help to create one,
inform the user to logout and log back in, and then quit.
Since these checks should just be a couple of lines of code, I don't see
why it needs to be in a separate script file which will be executed anyway.
I hope you agree.

Best,
Fabio

[1] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app