[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Squeak 5.1 Code Freeze -- Trunk still closed; first release candidate(s) available

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Aug 18 20:08:33 UTC 2016

Bruce O'Neel-2 wrote
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for all the work on this.  Sadly neither the 32bit or 64bit ones
> open on MacOS Sierra betas.  They start but no Mac windows are displayed.
>
> cheers
>
> bruce
>
>     	Hi, there.
>
> It's time for another "code freeze". :-) Let's hope that all serious bugs
> got fixed by now and that we have a usable Squeak 5.1 environment to get
> creative with. ;-)
>
> Find the first release candidate here:
> http://files.squeak.org/5.1rc1/Squeak5.1rc1-16520-32bit/
> http://files.squeak.org/5.1rc1/Squeak5.1rc1-16520-64bit/ (regarded as
> "experimental")
>
> You can still tell us about every little "buglette" you can find. We will,
> however, address only "show stoppers" in this phase. Other things will be
> scribbled down in the release notes under "Known Issues" and (maybe) fixed
> after the release:
> https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/tree/master/release-notes
>
> Please stress-test this RC1 until August 21, 23:59 AOE. Plus/minus a
> several hours as usual. :-D
>
> Best,
> Marcel

> below:http://forum.world.st/ANN-Squeak-5-1-Code-Freeze-Trunk-still-closed-first-release-candidate-s-available-tp4911665.html
> To start a new topic under Squeak - Dev, email

> ml-node+s1294792n45488h21 at .nabble

>   		To unsubscribe from Squeak - Dev, click here.
> NAML

Sounds like we should really work on fixing the recently changed
graphics/event backend in the macOS VM. :) It was changed from Carbon to
Cocoa a few months ago.. It added flashing effects when switching to/from
full-screen, forced activation of any dedicated graphics chip (which got
fixed by now), and broke user input event processing in terms of key presses
(not key strokes, they work fine).

However, we can easily update the bundles with improved VMs anytime. :)

Best,
Marcel