[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis now runs on Spur!

juanlists at jvuletich.org juanlists at jvuletich.org
Fri Aug 19 15:28:16 UTC 2016

Hi Folks,

I've successfully finished the Spur conversion of Cuis. I was able to
merge all required changes to Cuis compiler and make it work in both
ObjectMemories. Cuis is now offered in Spur and pre-Spur formats. And
the best part is that they share 100% of the source code. There is no
forking!

This means that there is no extra work in maintaining both flavors.
So, we are not leaving anyone behind. It also means that, at
deployment, you might chose between better performance and larger
memory (with Spur) or smaller footprint and SqueakJS compatibility
(with pre-Spur).

I've just updated our GitHub repo
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev . Included are
Cuis4.2-2906-spur.image and Cuis4.2-2906.image, and, as usual, the
whole update stream. I wrote a brief description of the Spur
conversion at Documentation/SpurConversion.md, in case you want to
reproduce it, or apply it to your own Cuis images.

The images seem very stable. Please test them, load your code, and
report any issues. This work was enabled by Eliot Miranda and the
OpenSmalltalk team who develop Spur, VMMaker and the Spur bootstrap.
Thank you folks! I also used Squeak 5 as a reference implementation of
Compiler and related stuff. I also want to thank the greater Squeak
community for it.

Some cleanup is in order. The scaffolding I did for the conversion,
including dual Compilers is still in the image. I'll be cleaning it
soon. I'll also be able to pay a bit more attention to unrelated
suggestions and ongoing discussion at cuis-dev at cuis-smalltalk.org

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Juan Vuletich