[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 5.1 Code Freeze -- Trunk still closed; first release candidate(s) available

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Fri Aug 19 23:32:43 UTC 2016

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016, Fabio Niephaus wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 11:31 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
>       > On 19-08-2016, at 12:41 PM, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
>       >
>       > Thanks for the bug reports. I've fixed the regex bug and found a way to ensure "find" ignores dot files.
>
>       Excellent.
>
>       > But why do you think ensure_conf_file needs to depend upon the kernel level?
>
>       Because the issue was fixed in the kernel some time ago. Unfortunately I couldn’t tell you exactly when, but the Pi stopped needing the file addition around 18 months ago. That’s around the time
>       the kernel was bumped up to v 4 I think. Whether it is any sort of problem to have such a file when it isn’t required… I don’t know. It’s certainly less alarming for any user if the script doesn’t
>       demand their superuser password!
>

> Can someone shed some light on this or do some more digging? When exactly do we need a squeak.conf? Any other ideas how to deal with this?

You always need it when you use an ht VM. Without the file the VM will not
start (unless you run it as root, but that's something you wouldn't do,
would you?).
All VMs built by the CI are ht VMs, so the file is a must.
The file has no effect on kernels before 2.6.X (basically 10+ years old),
so checking the version is unnecessary (the VM would probably not start
anyway due to C library differences).

Levente