[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 5.1 Code Freeze -- Trunk still closed; first release candidate(s) available

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Aug 20 17:38:05 UTC 2016

> On 20-08-2016, at 3:46 AM, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
>

> May I suggest we simply skip the ensure_conf_file step, if the launch script detects to run on a Pi for this release? Shall we print instructions for the common-session setup if necessary instead? We can adjust this behavior in the future, of course. But I'm not sure we can work out a proper solution in the next couple of days.

I would suggest that you make the ensure_conf_file script start with a test for

a) being on a Pi with a kernel level 4 or greater
b) being on any machine with kernel greater than X, where X is not currently a number I know. I simply don’t know enough linux terminology to do effective googling for this. The Pi does not have a special kernel so I think any version 4+ would be safe. Is anyone running on an x86 linux out there?

If NOT (a AND b) then do magic with /etc/securityblah-blah.

Somebody that follows and understand linux release history would probably be able to tell us exactly which version introduced the fix that makes /etc/security/blah unnecessary.

A test for /etc/pam.d/common-session containing
'       session    required   pam_limits.so'
would be a decent idea if we could also work out if the user were using xrdp or any other affected system. I’d suggest just documenting it for now.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BFM: Branch on Full Moon