[squeak-dev] Re: Struggling with Update Maps

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Aug 25 12:37:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 2:16 PM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de>
wrote:

> marcel.taeumel wrote
> > Hey, there.
> >
> > "update-mt.389.mcm" removes "311Deprecated".
> > "update-mt.390.mcm" removes "SmallLand".
> >
> > This seems to work fine in a foreign, updated image. In the the that
> > created those update maps, however, those packages seem to return on
> > update. :-/ I suspect that there is some kind of bug when processing the
> > update maps...
> >
> > Best,
> > Marcel
>
> Here is a thought:
> - The system seems to remember that the latest update config was
> "update-mt.387.mcm"
> - It starts processing "update-mt.388.mcm" (although I did create and
> upload
> it) loading "311Deprecated" and "SmallLand" again.
> - It starts processing "update-mt.389.mcm" (although I did create and
> upload
> it) not finding "311Deprecated"
> there.
> - It starts processing "update-mt.390.mcm" (although I did create and
> upload
> it) not finding "SmallLand" there.
>
> However, the #postLoad scripts in SqueakVersion where not executed again
> and
> hence I end up having "311Deprecated" and "SmallLand" in the image again.
> :-/
>
> I see two ways to fix this:
> - If I create a new update config, remember that for the next update in the
> image.
> - Re-execute that post-load scripts again if possible
>
> I prefer the first alternative.

Third alternative: delete the packages manually.

I would not like my image to be set to any update map I publish. We
occasionally have to fix an older update map to work around update
problems. This happens way more often than the problem of removing a
package from the update map. Actually, what I would do is publishing the
update map and *not* saving my image but restarting it to test that
everything works.

- Bert -