[squeak-dev] [5.1] How to (re)-establish isolated projects ?

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 13:12:18 UTC 2016

Hello

The class comment of class 'Project' (Squeak 3.8 [1]) mentions
isolated projects.
In 5.1 this is no longer the case but a method

   #isolatedProject

still exists (in class ChangeSet).

<citation>
In an isolated project, all new global variables (including new
classes) are stored in the project-local environment, and all changes
to preexisting classes are revoked when you leave the project.
</citation>

Is this mechanism superseeded by the still imcomplete Environments approach [2]?

In Squeak 5.1

      Environment allInstances

gives

      {Smalltalk}

[3]

How can I use an additional Environment in a subclass of
MorphicProject to get a similar effect.

Colin Putney writes  after he had fixed project saving and loading [4]
<citation>
It should also work for multi-environment images, if we create UI for
setting the "current" environment, or actually make use of the
"environment" instance variable in Project.
</citation>

Regards

Hannes

[1] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1020 ;
     version 'Last updated at 12:05 pm UTC on 16 January 2006'
[2] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6220
[3] SystemDictionary is no longer used
         SystemDictionary allInstances  #()
[4] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6218