[squeak-dev] Squeaksource.com is down

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 6 02:26:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 03:59:44PM +0100, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> Am 05.11.2016 20:38, schrieb David T. Lewis:
> >The squeaksource.com service is down due to a failure in the
> >squeaksource image.
> >
> >Cause of failure and estimated time to fix are not yet known. Recovery
> >may
> >require rebuilding from a backup image from 5 October 2016, so
> >additional
> >downtime and possible loss of account data are likely. All actual files
> >are
> >intact on the server and no data loss is anticipated.
> >
> >Dave
>
> There seems to be a suspicious link between the fifth of the month and
> squeaksource.com going down...
> It's not entirely down, but it's not working as expected either...

Thanks, the UI web page should be back to normal now. Apologies to new user
Bruno Má²£io Ramos de Souza Novaes, whose name name I mangled in
the repository as 'Bruno M?io Ramos de Souza Novaes'.

And yes we should fix that. A good name should not be mangled.

My understanding is that updating Squeak + Seaside will resolve the WideString
problem for user names. That will happen when we update squeaksource.com to
be consistent with source.squeak.org, which IMO would be a good thing to do
in January.

Dave