[squeak-dev] managing the transition to 64-bit

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 12 19:07:13 UTC 2016

> On 12-12-2016, at 10:55 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
>
> Do you mean that you want to make a single executable to run both 32-bit and 64-bit images?
> If so, you can make a script which reads the image version from the header and runs it with the corresponding VM.

I’m pretty sure there is already a program (‘ckformat' I think?) that reads the header and reports the type. It’s even used in the shell script for launching squeak, at least in the interpreterVM world.

Take a look at http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/cmake/squeak.in?view=markup
and
http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/cmake/ckformat.c?view=markup

tim
Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?