[squeak-dev] Snowglobe and Tether

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Tue Dec 13 02:07:53 UTC 2016

Hi Chris--

> I'm guessing the user [in the transition of an app session from
> remote to local] would have to indicate when they want to download
> the snapshot right? The object memory is always changing, if they
> continued using the remote connection then the transmitted snapshot
> would be behind the work the user did via the remote connection
> during the download period..?

     I think we can finesse that, by synchronizing the remote and local
instances of the app before the remote one pauses. I use "pause" in the
sense of pausing a movie, distinct from system snapshot.

     In the current design (for a future release), the canvas displaying
the app is decorated with control widgets, similar to a YouTube video.
In addition to typical controls like play and pause, there's a button
for moving the session to the local machine. After the snapshot,
download, and local resumption, there are two live instances of the app.
Using Tether remote messaging and the Naiad module system, they can
synchronize themselves.

     There are other possibilities, too. For example, the remote and
local instances could continue running together, as a distributed app.

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta