[squeak-dev] Snowglobe and Tether (was "WebAssembly" on vm-dev)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Dec 13 13:30:02 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Craig Latta <craig at blackpagedigital.com>
wrote:

>      (Followups to squeak-dev, please.)
>
> Hi all--
>
>      Ben writes:
>
> > Side thought: Craig's work to incrementally download a running image
> > could be useful to reducing web page startup time.
>
>      Ooh, I'm not sure I did what you think I did... Tell me more about
> that feature! :)  So far there's still a point where an entire snapshot
> has to transmit, but you can keep using the app remotely in the
> meantime. In many scenarios you just don't notice the download and
> subsequent switch to local native Squeak.

Your imprinting technique...
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/spoon/2004-October/000061.html

To run an imprinting-web-app, initially a very small minimal Image knowing
just enough to display the initial menus is downloaded, then additional
functionality streams down as needed depending on menu item selected. The
full app could continue to download, but priority would be given to
anything associated with the selected menu item.

cheers -ben

cheers -ben